Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The First Berry Family 5K

My friend Jennifer inspired me to start running.

I had been running a little in boot camp and then a little on the tread mill (walking mostly) but after seeing how good Jennifer looked at the reunion and listened to her talk about running, I decided I needed to train for something.  So I told Brian we were going to do the 5K in Woodstock on the 4th of July.  Then we heard about this 5k that isn't too far from our house on Memorial Day weekend and thought that would be as good as any to do for our first one.

The weather was overcast which helped to keep the temperatures lower.  We really didn't train for it other than what I stated above although my running on the tread mill had increased.  But with Ruth being sick for a week, I really haven't had the opportunity to run in two weeks.  I go for walks some with the stroller and the route is usually downhill one way and uphill back home. When you consider I am pushing a side by side jogging stroller that weighs 40 pounds with a 16 pounder and a 24 pounder in the stroller, that is a lot of weight to push uphill.

We set the goal to finish the 5k in 45 minutes.  Brian said he would push the stroller the entire race.  Although he said it would give him more of a work out, I think he really did it because he knew how much it would slow down my time.  He could have finished much faster, but he kept saying, "we start as a team we end as a team." 

The competition spirit came out in us.  We would pick a person to get ahead of and then another and another.  We would run some (run to the mailbox, the stop sign, that driveway, etc) and then walk some.  I will say that we finished ahead of the other two strollers (single strollers ha!) but I think the wives also slowed those men. 

The best moment was when we got to the finish line and could see the clock.  It read 39:47.  Without exchanging a word, we both started running hard and finished together at 39:55.  We did it in under 40 minutes.  We were so proud of ourselves and hope to do as well if not better at the next race.

We entered Ruth in the Fun Run that was held a little later.  The route was two laps around the park; each lap was 1/3 mile long.  Ruth only did one lap and did a great job.  She actually ran most of the way.  She was very proud of her green participation ribbon. 

I am a little sore today but excited to get back out there and "train" for the next 5K - The Berry Family Runs Again......

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you guys! That is a really good time for a run/walk with a double stroller! I can totally appreciate that!!! Good job, Berry Family! And I'm glad that I could help inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I love the new family pic...just Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I can't believe you did that with a double stroller!

    I love the new picture. YOu look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Ruth is looking in the camera!

    ReplyDelete