I finally have a moment, or rather, I am finally TAKING a moment to update the blog. All papers have been graded with only math to do to figure out the final grade. Next week I will start working on my lectures for the spring semester.
Ok. Where to start. We got to the hospital last Monday (the 30th) at 6:00 am and was moved upstairs. I don't really remember what happened or how long it took. Blood was taken, an IV line placed and then it was hurry up and wait. My surgery was supposed to be at 8:45am but I was told my doctor was in another surgery and would be late. Then it was, "hurry, we have to get you hydrated, you are going to surgery in 30 minutes." I couldn't tell you if I tried what the time was. Although there was a clock in front of me, I don't remember looking at it.
I had two wonderful nurses who stayed close by my side during their entire 12 hour shift. They were great and easy to talk to at once. I was taken to the OR where a spinal was put into place. I had to lie down immediately so the drugs would take effect. It was kinda cool to feel the numbness shoot up and down my body. But then, my blood pressure dropped and I started dry heaving. The anesthesiologist (she will be known as Sherry from here on out, as that was her name) was awesome. As long as she was talking to me and had a hand on my face, I knew I was going to be okay. She explained that my blood pressure was dropping and that is why I felt sick. Brian came in the OR and took over the hand on my face duty. I was able to stop feeling sick for a bit but felt sick toward the end again. I could hear Sherry say periodically, "how much longer? could you hurry please?" And then once the baby was out, "I don't know about anyone else, but I am glad to have that baby out." Apparently, since Grayson was so big (even though he was so much smaller than Ruth) he was putting pressure on my aorta and that was making my blood pressure drop. I have no idea why this didn't happen when I had Ruth. I thought I was carrying him so much lower.
At any rate, you know that Grayson was born healthy and strong at 9:52. He was taken to the nursery to be cleaned. I made it to the room before he did. I was very cold and my wonderful nurses covered me up with about four warm blankets.
However, Grayson's circumcision didn't go well and we will be taking him to a pediatric urologist for a circumcision revision next week. He is eating well and gaining weight. I am breastfeeding but if I make it six weeks I will be happy. It takes a lot of time that with Ruth running around I don't feel I can afford.
Sorry for the long post. Who knows when I will post again.
I bet by six weeks, he'll be a pro at feeding, and hopefully it won't take so long. At any rate, whatever you decide is fine. No worries! I'm so glad that he's healthy and that you are well. I can't imagine having a newborn with kids this age. It sounds like you are sane, though! ;-) Sorry to hear about the circumcision...hopefully it is taken care of with no further complications. Love you Nat!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete