Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Cow Says Moo

I had my 36 week appointment today. Technically, I am not 36 weeks until Friday but today was my weekly appointment. I found out great news: I do not have to be checked!!

As you know, I was raised on a cattle and chicken farm. I have seen eggs laid and calves born, pulled and cut out of a cow. Every spring, it was the job of the daughters at home to go out after school and walk the field closest to the house where Dad kept the pregnant cows. I was never good at this. The way my mom explained it to me, which is kinda gross, I will not share. Basically, I just made sure none of them were missing, but I was really supposed to see if they were getting close to delivery (visually check, not like the OB doctors check).

With Ruth, from week 36 to week 40+ I had to be checked every time I went. I felt like a pregnant cow, and was probably called that by many. But this time, since I have a scheduled c-section in 20 days (that's right, 20 days) I don't have to be checked. Awesome! My doctor said that if I have contractions to call them. I never really had contractions with Ruth since I really didn't go into labor until the second day of induction. But this kid is so low and looks like he has no room to drop. And second kids are supposed to deliver earlier. Part of me would like to see how long I would go if we didn't have a planned c-section and how big he would be. His birth weight won't be as big as Ruth, probably, since he is being cut out of me 2 plus weeks earlier than Ruth was. But then I think how much easier it will be for family to be here with it being planned and how much easier on me it will be and those thoughts fade from the front of my mind. (But still reside in the back).

I would like to give everyone I know and see on a regular basis props for not commenting on how big I am. With Ruth I heard how big I was all the time. Of course, was bigger with Ruth and I was around more people with Ruth. But still, props to my Sunday school class. Good thing too, because I told Brian early on that if the females in my class talked about my size this time as much as they did with Ruth that I was going to walk out of the room every time someone said something about it. Everyone has been more than awesome this time. It helps that there are about 7 other pregnant girls in the class so the attention gets spread around the room (and no one notices the second muffin I am pushing into my mouth.)

1 comment:

  1. I only got checked once...the day that we delivered. It was not pleasant, so I'm rather glad that I didn't have to endure it repeatedly on a weekly basis. I'm glad that people aren't telling you about your hugeness. I think it almost makes it more uncomfortable. Flashbacks! Can't wait to see some pictures of Grayson! 20 days!!!

    ReplyDelete