Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Friday, March 16, 2012

Bad Day at Emory

Our day at Emory did not go as we had wanted.   Some would say it didn't go well at all.

This is how the day went.

6:30 am arrive at Emory Winshape Cancer Center
7:45 ish blood draw and IV line prepped
Sometime after 8a, meet with DR who informed me last bone marrow biopsy wasn't a good sample and I needed another. He thinks it is aplastic anemia. He left the room and then returned with my blood results from this AM - said my platelets and red blood cells had gone down again and that I needed a platelet and blood transfusion TODAY. Platelets were at 9,000 (a month ago they were 12K and then 17 K, normal range 150,000 - 300,000).  We were hoping Brian's theory was right and that my numbers would go up. They didn't.  They went down.

So down to the lab again for more blood to be taken to find a match for my platelets and blood transfusion.

Bone Marrow Biopsy sometime after noon. They did give me a "twilight" sedative. This put me out. I didn't feel a thing but did wake up taking about fabric. Yes, I really did.

Slept for 30 minutes, I think.

Brian got me food, first since 5:30 am. It was wonderful.

Platelet transfusion. Brian left to get kids since we thought we would be home by noon. Sitter couldn't stay all day.
Then blood transfusion. I had to have tylenol and benadryl before transfusions to help my body accept the transfusions. I slept most of the afternoon. I would wake up periodically as they had to check my vitals every 15 - 20 minutes. But other than that, slept and was super out of it. Didn't even think about fabric.


Got done with only a few minutes to spare before Brian came back around 5 with kids to pick me up at the curb. We ate out, sat in Atlanta traffic and got home around 8 pm.


Current status: I am still tired but not really upset about possible diagnosis. Brian is outside on the porch. I think he is upset and disappointed. He snapped at me in the car a little on the way home and I snapped at the kids and him a little. I am so tired right now and so out of it on drugs that every little sound was getting on my nerves.

So tonight I ask for prayers for patience with each other, a diagnosis (for crying out loud) and a treatment plan.

Thanks for stopping by Our Berry Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment