Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Monday, March 26, 2012

As The Pendulum Swings

Well, we did it again.  It seems like every time we think we know what is going to happen, not only are we mistaken but we are so mistaken that what actually happens hits us in the face with a frying pan.  It reminds me of Wile E. Coyote.

We thought we knew exactly what the Northside specialist was going to say.  After all, the Emory Doc was so confident in his diagnosis, surely he couldn't be wrong. We had the right answer, we just wanted someone else to ask the question.

WRONG!

He did a great job explaining everything to us about what the findings were and what the
treatment options were  for someone with severe aplastic anemia.

What was that? Did he just say severe?

Turns out that, according to Natalie's blood counts and the diagnostic criteria she meets 2 of the 3 requirements to be considered to have severe aplastic anemia. If that isn't enough, the treatment regimen that he would recommend would be bone marrow transplant first - before drug therapy at all.

This must be a joke....where are the cameras?

No joke. Although he did make a compelling argument that bone marrow transplant would be curative and, while she may respond to the drug therapy, she is so young that she would have a higher risk of relapse than the standard population. Remember that the normal age groups who are infected are either really young or really old. And so we wait for the one number that would indicate that she would go through a bone marrow transplant as first line treatment. So we are back to the questions about what we should do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie, I've been reading your posts on facebook and on your blog. My heart goes out to you. As I was reading I was reminded of my favorite scripture: Isaiah 41:10 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." And also verse 13, "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." I can't say that I know what you are experiencing, but I know He does. I know He is by you, and He will hold your hand through it all. I'm praying for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nat, I'm so sorry for the crummy day you had yesterday. But if the new doc had the "right" plan, then I'm glad that you all got to hear it...even if it's not what you wanted to hear. Praying for wisdom and discernment for you and Brian to know what to do next, that you'd have that grace that you are looking to give, and that perfect love would cast out all fear in you! And because I know you're a hymn girl...the Lord brought this to mind:

    Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
    When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
    By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
    Standing on the promises of God.

    Standing on the promises I now can see
    Perfect, present CLEANSING IN THE BLOOD for me,
    Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
    Standing on the promises of God.

    ReplyDelete