Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ruth - Pushing Me to Abandon My Principles

As I have my morning coffee, I watch Ruth dance around the living room in a swimsuit and tutu.  She is so very talented and has such great body lines.  She is very creative with her moves and has great musicality.

She wants to take dance class.

I have her in gymnastics.  I have had more than one mother tell me that she is really good.  I think so too.  She turns 4 in a little over a month.  I have always said that I would follow Carlo Blasis (a great ballet pedagogue from the early 1800's) who said that ballet training should not start until 8.  But I don't know if he had to watch Ruth Helen Berry and her talent, acting skills, and sweet question, "Mommy, when I get older, can I take ballet?"






(For those of you who are not dancers may  not understand the reasoning for feet pictures.  But dancers are probably impressed with Ruth's foot.  When I was dancing, my feet were always admired.  And like I tell my students, I was never that great of a dancer.  I didn't turn well, didn't jump well but when it came to standing or pointing my toes, I rocked.)

2 comments:

  1. I hear you, Nat. I have Alec and Emma in a creative movement class together. I put them in because its free since I teach.

    I always used to tell people to wait to put their kids in until they're older. I used to always see a lot of kids start too young and "get bored" with real ballet class when it was time to be at the barre and not just creative movement anymore.

    I'm not sure what I want to do with A&E. I have to get my son into little league or something because he has a lot of athletic skills. As far as Emma, I know she will have a definite opinion about what she wants or doesn't want to do.

    Part of me would be happy to have her dance for obvious reasons, but part of me has always hoped that she would find another love. Simply because I hate the thought of her having to deal with the ugly side of dance, the body issues, the narcissism, etc. But I suppose those issues can creep up in many other forms of art, sports, whatever.

    But Ruth is beautiful. Fantastic retire position, Ruth...and lovely feet. And Natalie, you were and are a lovely dancer. You are much more than just a nice set of feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You had a lot more going for you than just pretty feet! I'm teaching some 6 year olds right now. I'm making them do barre for at least 30 min. We stretch for 10 and then do more fun things in the center and across the floor. But we always go over our arm positions, practice our glissades, see who can jump the highest in changement and who can point their feet while we skip with our other foot all the way up to our knee. Not everyone likes my class, but the parents love it because there is structure and discipline. There is a fine line of keeping them entertained and still teaching them terminology etc. But, I agree, they can't start fixing things and understanding corrections until at least 8 or 9. I can go around the room and tell them to straighten their knee or turn out more and the do it, but they can't retain that knowledge.

    I'm a little jealous of Ruth's feet right now....by the way, your house is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete