Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I Can See Clearly Now (that I have a Null point)

What is a null point?

A null point is when someone has nystagmus (jittery eyes) and she find a head position that steadies the eye. Ruth has nystagmus and have a null point. This is the reason she always turns her head and looks out of the corner of her eye. It is cute, yes, but will hamper her when she drives and could develop neck pain for her.

Ruth had her check up at the eye doctor's today. Today was the first day that we actually got an idea of how well Ruth can see. Brian and I, and everyone else who is around her, thinks she sees fine. Ruth went through most of the tests today and has a questionable 20/40 vision - that is better than Brian or me without contacts!!! In Georgia you have to have 20/60 to drive. So looks like Ruth will be getting her driver's license when she turns 16.

I say questionable because about the time the assistant got to the chart when she would be 20/30, Ruth got tired and lost interest. We don't know if it is because she is almost 2 and can't sit still for long or if she lost interest because she couldn't make out the letters. We go back in 6 months.

It was neat how he would put up one letter on the computer screen and ask Ruth to point to the letter on the card he held in his hand. I had no idea that Ruth could even do something like that. I know she knows A, B and D. But these letters were H, O, T, and V. How smart is my little girl? Really, Daddy is the one who works with her on letters. I am impressed with both of them.

Ruth did great at the office. She would let them do any of the close tests, where you have to put your chin on the little bar, as long as they would tear one of the pieces of paper of the chin rest and give it to her. I have taught her well about germs!!

Grayson has been very fussy lately. I don't know if he is having tummy troubles or just a moody kid. He is still sleeping lots. Thank goodness.

Today was a tough day with the kids though, probably because they both got worn out this morning at the doctor's. Brian is at the gym letting off steam. He is working so hard lately and has a really tough schedule the next week.

Thanks to Tonia for checking on us. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. With two little kids, an increasingly dirty house, work and my need to exercise so I can lose a few pounds before the big reunion in April, I have been pretty busy.

If Grayson will stay asleep a little longer before I have to feed him, I will try to post some pictures.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear Ruth's vision is okay. I can't believe she let them do all of those tests without a problem. Did you ever see that Friend's episode where Rachel goes to the eye doctor? She puts her chin on the rest but won't open her eyes and Monica ends up having to hold her in there. And at the end Monica has to hold her down on the floor to put the eye drops in. ha ha ha. I miss Friends.

    ReplyDelete