Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Bus

I didn't ride the bus.  My mom was a teacher at a school that had K - 12 all on one campus.  I rode the bus sometimes, like when she was sick or had a meeting but it wasn't something that I wanted to do or enjoyed.  And with kids K - 12 grade on the bus, all kinds of things could be said or done on the bus.

When Ruth started kindergarten this fall I had been planning to take her to school and pick her up in the afternoons. And that is exactly what we did.  Taking her to school was fine; the bus came by too early and we were never ready.  The afternoons were more tricky.  You either get there too early and sit (and in August and September in Georgia it is hot!) or you get there later and your child stands in the sun.  But, it was fine.  I learned that kindergarten came out of the school at 2:03pm and if you got there in time to park, you could be waiting on your child and just leave then - before the 2:15 dismissal.  It was nice.  Ruth would come out of the school holding hands with two sweet, little girls and the moms and I would say hello to each other and Grayson would run like a crazy boy to hug his sister.  On the one day a week I couldn't pick Ruth up the sitter (Miss Amanda, who Grayson wants to marry) would drive through carpool.

Then one day a younger sitter was going to watch them in the afternoon and I thought Ruth could just ride the bus home.  So I could be there on her first bus ride I had her ride the bus one day the week prior.  Well, that day there was a substitute bus driver who tried to drop her off at the wrong place.  Ruth kept her wits about her and stayed on until her bus stop but got off the bus in tears.

Since that day except for a couple of days as being a car rider, Ruth has become a bus rider.  She loves it now.  I have mixed feelings.  I miss seeing her walk out of school with her friends and miss saying hello to the other moms.  I miss hearing the announcements over the loud speaker.  But on the other hand, I have gained like 30 minutes at the house!  The weather has been nice and our street is quiet.  Grayson and I went on a walk yesterday and stopped at the bus stop.  We have played with acorns, picked up leaves and stared at the clouds.  It has been nice in a different way. 

I have decided I am going to make more of an effort to record the mundane events of life like I did when Ruth was little.  If this blog is going to be my journal of the kids then I need to step it up and record the funny things they say and do.

Until next time, thanks for stopping by our berry vine.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm excited you'll try to post more. Since I'm a loser and not on facebook, this is my only way to keep up with what's going on in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete