The media likes to sensationalize things, don't they? But this time it has worked in our favor.
Hearing the same story twice on local television about how homes were selling in a matter of days (first, they talked about our county and second about a county below us) and then hearing from a new friend how she had a hard time finding a house to buy, Brian and I decided to put our house on the market again. Some of you may remember that we tried to sell the house two summers ago with no avail. We bought land about a year ago and will begin building as soon as we finish paying off the land. The next step would be to sell the house before breaking ground. We both thought it would take months for the house to sell. We hired an agent, cleaned the house and waited. Within hours of the house going "live on the internet" (a sign had been in our yard for a week but the house was not officially listed until photos were posted), we had our first showing scheduled. We cleaned the house like mad and had about 8 or so showings in 4 days, one request to make an offer sight unseen and two written offers. We went back and forth with the higher offer counteroffering and such and within a week, had signed a final contract.
What?
Yes, our house is under contract. We are waiting for the inspection to be conducted and then will sign a lease on a rental. We are scheduled to close on May 28, which will be seven years and one week to the day of us closing when we bought the house. I can't believe it. And almost instantly thought: what are we doing?
We are comfortable, although crowded, in this home. A part of me thinks that I am too tied to this earth to want to hold onto my things and have a bigger house. And I probably am. Remind me of this when I write in a year or so about which tile to choose or stressing over the footprint of the kitchen.
I look around my bedroom, messy now since there are no more showings, and I think about how this was the house I came home from my honeymoon to, a new married woman. I remember sitting in the living room with Ruth, only two days old, and looking at Brian and us asking each other "what do we do now?" I think about holding Grayson and rocking him every night in his room while I read the book True Faced, a read that truly changed my perspective. I think about laying in this bed the day I came home from getting my first blood transfusion and listening to the same bird songs I hear today.
I know that a house is just four walls. I understand that those memories can go with me. I get that the ups and down of our lives together will forever remain a part of who I have become. I realize that any and all physical possessions are just earthly possessions with no eternal significance.
Yet, I am saddened that my home will soon belong to another couple who will create memories of their own and will probably bring babies of their own home to this house.
.......................if we pass inspection.
That's awesome it sold so quickly. Congratulations! Hopefully now you can start planning the layout of your new home. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so thrilled about your house selling. That is wonderful news. The market is picking up here a little bit...but it's still a buyers market with lots of good deals. We've been talking forever about trying to get a home with more space and renting our current home. But I still think about all of the things you talked about. Bringing home babies...all of the precious firsts in this home. At least if we rent it, it will still be ours. Well, I love all of the pictures, especially Grayson in the black "cat" outfit. And obviously, whether it's Easter or any other day, he must be wearing some kind of Spiderman accessory. I think our boys would have a heck of a time playing together!!! Hopefully one of these days they can!
ReplyDelete