Ruth is like me in that when she gets tired, she cries. She has been in bible school this week and tonight was day four. After her bath, Grayson was sent to his room to wait for story. Daddy, who usually baths them was working downstairs on a project so it was just Ruth and me in my room. I had to brush her teeth and hair. While brushing her hair, she started to cry and said she missed memommy (my mom). That was enough to make me cry too but I held it in. I wish our families were close enough to see the kids more often. (Like, maybe two hours away - close enough to come any time for the day, but not close enough to drop by unexpected).
Brian and I have always said that had we lived close to either or both families the first few years of our marriage we would not have stayed married. In fact, when either in-law comes to visit or we go to visit, stress arises in our marriage. I think partly because we have chosen to be slightly different from our families of origin and the pull to fall back into those same roles, same way of thinking is heavy and leaves the other spouse thinking "what the heck happened here?" I know Brian's voice and diction change. Mine probably does too. When I lived in South Carolina and would go home for a visit, when I would come back home people in SC always knew I had been home because they said my accent was "heavier". Like South Carolinians don't have a southern accent. Shoot. At least here in Georgia, which probably has more yankees than most southern cities, I am not made fun of due to the way I talk. To all my OU friends, don't you remember how much y'all would tease me for the way pronounced "five" and "why" and "hi"?
But I digress. We called my mom and Ruth and she spoke for a few moments. And then Ruth just sat on my lap and we rocked. It was so nice to hold Ruth in my lap and rock. She usually is too busy cuddle these days always cooking for her "girls". Today she made eggs and zucchini for "my girls", as she calls them. At least it was a healthy meal.
Last year's VBS theme was "God loves us no matter what we do." That theme was exactly what I needed to hear and be reminded of last summer. This summer can you guess what the theme is? I don't have the exact wording since Ruth doesn't tell us as much as VBS as she did last year, but it is about trusting God even when you don't feel like it. Ironic? Don't you think? Isn't this the message I have been trying to grasp since March?
Thanks for stopping by Our Berry Vine.
Yep, it stinks being so far away from family. Aaron and I agree two hours is perfect. I'm glad you got some cuddle time with Ruth. Emma, like you and her daddy, is a side-hugs kind of person. She doesn't snuggle up like Alec. So, anytime I get those little moments with her, I treasure them!
ReplyDelete