Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Monday, April 7, 2014

Butter and Bread

It has been a chilly, rainy day. And while I really like chilly, rainy days, today has been a little frustrating.

We made it through the thunder and lighting last night although all us lost sleep.  The kids weren't too cross this morning and Ruth actually made it to school early ahead of the long line of raining day drop off.  Grayson and I played and worked today and I even exercised.  This rental house has a horrible, damp smell that seeps up through the living room carpet and I find myself wondering if we are all being poisoned with mold.

This afternoon in a span of about 30 minutes I realized I would be spending over an hour today managing absences for my large class and got a phone call over a student issue for the other class.  I found myself again wondering if maybe I should stop working when Ruth came home and yelled at me some.

With the school work that I didn't do over spring break looming over my head like the anvil in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, the frustration over the phone call, Ruth speaking to me harshly for no reason, I decided to make something warm and found a blueberry muffin mix that I instead made as a loaf.  Forty minutes later all three of us were eating our bread at the dining room table while Ruth also colored and I ripped out a seam of a sewing project.  As warm bread melted the butter into a gooey mess and once again the world seemed to make sense and the things I do as a teacher and mother that will never be appreciated as I think they should be melted away just like the butter. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you posted something! Have y'all started building the house yet? How have you been feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, caught up on both your and Tonia's blogs today. Blueberry bread sounds so wonderful right now. I'm hanging on for summer. Less work, more kids. Not that it will necessarily be any easier...but a break from work will definitely be welcome!

    ReplyDelete