Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Rest in the Hospital

I sit in a quiet room listening to Brian sleep and the sound of the bed humming from time to time as it massages his legs.  Other than the worst headache that he has ever had, we think he is fine.

It started two weeks ago when he called me early in the morning after his men's bible study and said that he was on the way to the doctor.  On his drive down to the group, he went numb on his right side in places, had some slurred speech,  and couldn't remember words.  The nurse said it was a migraine (spelling?).  He had an MRI and was done.  Then, this morning it was bad.  No headache but dropped a bowl of cereal because he couldn't feel his arm, talked like he had been to the dentist and had to drag his right leg a little.  He also couldn't remember words.  It was strange watching him trying to talk to Ruth and not being able to form a sentence. 

On the way to church he asked if I thought he should go to the ER.  I said yes.  And THANKS to our friends the Raubs, we stopped on the way, gave our kids and car seats to them (now they know that 4 kids can fit in their van) and headed to the ER.  His headache began shortly after getting here and the staff being pretty sure that the stroke alert that they had called wasn't immediate.  He hurt so bad he got sick and wasn't acting like himself.  After being admitted, I headed home to change and pick up some stuff and let him rest.  When I got back I had already missed the neuro doc.  Now I feel guilty about leaving him.  But he did get some rest and I was able to eat - a must if I was going to care for him in any capacity.

They are keeping him the night and going to run some tests, hopefully today or tomorrow.  I have to work.  Second day of school and I only work MW.  Tomorrow would be a Monday, wouldn't it?

Thank you to all who have called and texted and offered to help with the kids.  It means alot.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, Nat...we will definitely be praying for Brian. And you and the kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get bad migraines too. Some I can deal with and some put me out for the day. I've had 2 MRI's and tried several medications. For awhile they had me taking an anti-depressant to try and prevent the migraines from happening. I didn't care for that too much so I stopped taking them. Now I have a pill to take (that are really expensive!) when my vision starts to go blurry before the headache.

    Bless his heart....they are really no fun. Did you ever see that video of the reporter who got one on air? She had the slurred speech and one side of her face dropped. It was scary but turned out to be a migraine. My neurologist said there are some foods that can trigger a migraine. Chocolate, nuts, cheeses, wine. I had to keep track of my food and my migraines to see if this was the case, but it wasn't with me.

    They can't figure out why I get them. Sometimes I think its not enough water, but again, not always the reason. My brother-in-law got them a lot and he found out it was from the gum he was chewing along with aspartame. Weird. But he switched gum and stopped the drinks with aspartame and now he doesn't get them anymore.

    Let me know what happens! I always like to hear just in case there's something I can do differently too.

    I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. My cousin had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. She is fine but will have a follow visit with a neurologist. You must have been so frightened. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Douglas gets bad migraines, too, that make him sick. One time he didn't have a headache but he had this really strange wavy vision. It scared him so he went to the doc and found out it was another form of a migraine. His are caffeine induced so he has to be all caffeinated or completely decaffeinated. We'll be praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete