I am so tired of my daughter not eating. I always wanted a daughter from the earliest time of playing house. I don't think I ever pretended that I had a boy. I love Grayson. He is getting so fun clapping, almost standing on his own, sucking his toes and thinking it is very funny when his toes brush his nose. (He must have his father's sense of humor). But having a daughter was something I knew would be special. She loves Cinderella, just like me. She loves to dance around, just like me (I have NOT pushed this on her - she just does it). There are so many things that you as a mom share with your daughter that you don't share the same way with a son.
But Ruth is going to make me crazy.
I am so tired of her not eating. For two and a half years she has fought us about eating. I had her tested for hypoglycemia last week. When she doesn't eat (which is often) she throws horrible, horrible fits. And since there is a family history, the doctor agreed. She was not, thankfully. But now I don't have answers. This week Brian has been out of town so it has been me at breakfast, lunch and supper all alone trying to get her to eat. She will eat carbos, cheese and occasionally meat or fruit. A veggie has not crossed her lips in ages. Tonight I did get her to try a bite of green beans and she did the same thing she always does - dramatically gags and spits it out. We spent tonight like so many nights: me having to get up so many times that I barely get two bites of food without having to get up to get something for one of the kids or to help Ruth potty having to force her in the chair to begin with and then after the trip to the potty, begging her to eat, threatening her, ignoring her, screaming at her and then finally giving up and leaving the room until she calms down and eats maybe three or so more bites. As soon as Brian came home I came up here to write. So many times lately I have wanted to write about something but was in the car or didn't have the energy to write what I have been feeling. Heather saying that she was tried of seeing the delta sign Ruth is making in a picture below did help me make time to write in this blog. (Please note that I am sitting in a dirty bedroom with an equally dirty bathroom to my right).
I am so tired of the endless circle I am on. And even in sewing class today I kept messing up and didn't get anything really finished. I know this is just a bad week, well not even a week. Ruth and I didn't really start the cycle until last night. We have been on the cycle so many times that although it has only happened twice this week it feels like it never ends. And telling me she will eat when she gets hungry does not help. You are not here to deal with the hunger fits she throws or see her ribs through her skin or know that she is not getting a well balanced diet.
At least Grayson will eat. Oh, he has decided that baby food is beneath him and cries and points to your food only he can't always eat your food.
What is that old hymn? Count your blessing name them one by one. Count your blessing see what God hath done. Count your blessing, name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God hath done.
My children are healthy. My husband has a good job. We have a new, pre-owned car (which instantly added 10 years to me it is so big). My bed is comfortable. I live in a free country. I have running water. I have a part-time job. I enjoy sewing. I have friends both near and far that I can turn to - even if they laugh at me. I have my health. I love my husband's smile. My husband loves me, yeah, me. The Razorbacks look to have a winning season and will crush A & M tomorrow and Auburn next week.
And then of course, my salvation. God has really been working on me and I have been resisting it all the way. Pick up the book True Faced. It is a good read with great insight. But be prepared to look at yourself and see the good, bad and saintly.
Okay. Brian probably needs help now. Gray needs a bottle and bath time is upon us.
Thanks. (Or in the words of Ruth, tanks).
Yes, count your blessings...you are doing a great job as Mom and have a beautiful family! You may have to recant the part about Auburn!?!?!
ReplyDeleteThere is just something about eating and sleeping...or the lack thereof...that makes a parent want to scream and pull all of their hair out. I must say that by and large my kids have been good eaters (even though Emma eats she is still teeniny like Ruth), but the phases we've gone through where they haven't has pretty much driven us bonkers. You should talk to Julie Busler. Boston apparently didn't eat like the first 3 years of his life, and then one day BAM! he started eating everything in sight. They were all worried and had a ton of tests done, but there was nothing wrong with him. She did a post on it a while ago. Anyways, I feel for you, and I was singing the hymn along with you. :-) Hey, what kind of car did you end up with???
ReplyDeleteOh sweet girl!!! I am so sorry. "Kid" eating drives me crazy. I end up yelling everyday. Until I started hiding the veg. in stuff. Veg muffins, pancakes, cake and cookies. I love Deceptively Delicious cook book. I puree once every 3 months or so, then freeze it in ice cube trays. I add a cube to everything. Beets in yogurt. Sweet potato in chocolate milk. Pumpkin in oat meal. I even add red peppers to strawberries jam. I mainly do breakfast. If they get veg in th morning I don't have to worry the rest of the day. It seems like a lot of work but it is so worth it. No crying, yelling or peace at meals. I still serve a veg at meals but I only require one bite of each thing on his plate (age 3). I also learned to serve in courses. Eggs (w cauliflower in them) before pancakes (with beets, pumpkin or butternut squash.) I also make 3 batches at a time freeze. So I have quick carbs. I have it down to an art form if you and the kids want to load up for a play/Puree date.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the deceptively delicious cookbook. I beleive its written by Jerry Seinfeld's wife. My sister always said she was going to make home made applesauce and her kids were going to eat so healthy etc. Once she had them, she realized that wasn't going to work. All 4 of the kids have some sort of issue with food. So she has to hide the good stuff in the crappy stuff they actually eat. The funny thing is they have to eat ketchup on everything, otherwise they won't eat it. She tried fighting them on this because ketchup on pizza, lasagna and a few other things just kind of sounds gross. But, she finally gave in because at least it made them eat something.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, buy that book! Maybe it will help. They have like spinach in brownies and stuff like that. At least you can get some nutrients out of something chocolate!