We got there sometime around 9:30, I think. We parked at the Alumni tailgate and walked around there and talked with a few people. Brian laughed at what I packed for a tailgate (remember, it was morning): croissants, fruit, OJ, and some sandwiches. I told him that my entire college career was spent tailgating at the Tri Delta house. That is when Arkansas played every game during the day and Football Brunch at the DDD house was always awesome. Who can forget the waffle bar?
Around 10:45 we left our $20 parking spot and drove to my former student's house to drop the kids off where her mother had graciously offered to drive over and keep the kids. THANK YOU KATHY SCOTT!!!! I know Ruth had a good time with you and Grayson must have too.
We were lucky and found a back way around back to the tailgate where we got an even better parking spot (did not have to repay) and headed to the stadium. Our seats were in a georgia section but the ARKANSAS section was below and above us. I happened to get my tickets from my friend Roger who works in sports information at Tulane who has a friend in sports information at georgia. Although there were scattering of RAZORBACKS in our section, we were surrounded by georgia fans - nice ones, thank goodness.
The game was good, hot, hot and more hot. I had not put on sunscreen since last time we went 4 years ago the weather wasn't hot - but the game was in October. I was just so concerned with showing off the dress I made Ruth (see below) and the purse I made for myself (no picture) that I didn't even think of sunscreen. A nice girl next to me did give me some, though. I didn't get it on even and today my face which had my everyday sunscreen along with hers is a bright red. My arms are evenly red but my legs are very splotchy red. I basically look like I was on a boat in the middle of the ocean awaiting rescue.
By now those of you who care know that ARKANSAS won. We were leading the entire game until the fourth quarter. When it was tied, fearing I wouldn't be able to handle the jeers and cussing we would get on the walk back to the car (because yes, four years ago, although georgia was ranked and ARKANSAS wasn't and they only beat us by three points, they were horrible yelling bad things at us on the walk back.) Since I am trying very, very hard to submit my anger and tongue to the Lord, I was afraid I would fail and snap at someone, we left the game, tied with 2 minutes left in the game. ARKANSAS went three and out and georgia had the ball. The nice georgia fans around us tried to get me to stay saying the game wasn't over but I couldn't handle it. I was so mad. In fact, I was so mad and ranting to Brian that when we stopped at a tailgate to hear the end of the game and I heard ARKANSAS won, it still took me awhile to get over my madness at the team.
But I stand by my decision to leave early. We had a nice, quiet walk on the way back without being crowded and surrounded by drunks who had been out in the sun too long. And we beat traffic. If we had been able to head straight home we would have been ahead of the traffic all the way. But we had to go pick up the kids. We hung out there for awhile and then rode part of the way stopping for supper and then continued. We didn't get home until close to 8pm. It was a great day.
Today, I took a three hour nap. And I am a person who hates naps.
Okay,okay. I know you are tired of reading. Please enjoy the pictures.
At the tailgate before the game. My legs are still white. I wish I had a before and after picture. You would be amazed. We were covered in sweat, red from the heat and the sun. My hair went up; Brian put on a hat.
Ruth and Laura Liz (my former student). All the georgia girl students dress up for the game and lots of the alumni. At ARKANSAS only the sororities and fraternities dressed up. And the pledges had to wear coat and tie. They would have died from head exhaustion. LL was hands down one of the best students I have ever had the pleasure to teach ballet. Smart as a whip too. And yes, I am mentioning this because she reads this blog. But it is true.
Ruth at church on Sunday morning. Yes, I washed her dress and Grayson's shirt so they could wear it today. I wore a demin skirt and a ARKANSAS RAZORBACK polo and Brian wore a RAZORBACK polo as well - first time he has ever worn the shirt (he doesn't care for the fabric).
I included this picture because you can see the dress I made. I included the picture below because I think it is a good picture. Gray was asleep at the time so I didn't want to wake him.
Great job on the dress!
ReplyDelete