Traditional Portrait

Traditional Portrait
July 2014

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Back from O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!!!!

Really, people?  You think the kids look like Brian?  Then why did everyone say that Ruth was the spittin' image of me?  (It could have been because Grayson slept the whole time and Ruth was talking the whole time.)

Here is one story before I go teach.  Forgive me if you have heard this story.  For those of you who haven't.....

We got up on Thursday at 5am when the kids woke up, fed everyone, bathed everyone, loaded the car and headed to Birmingham to get on a plane.  We flew Southwest because it is so much cheaper and bags fly free.  The kids did fine on the plane ride to Dallas.  Ruth took a short nap.  We were in central time zone so everything was all mixed up for her.  When we descended, both kids woke up crying due to the pressure.  Grayson recovered fine.  Ruth got to sit in the pilot's chair and have her picture taken.  Then, when we put Ruth in the stroller she threw the biggest fit ever.  I had packed both diapers and wipes in the same bag so I had to take the kids to the bathroom to change them.  I changed Grayson to Ruth screaming.  Then, when I changed Ruth (still screaming) Grayson joined in the game.  One woman tried to calm Ruth down by talking to her and I had to nicely tell her three times that we ignore fits.  I knew if I tried to reason, spank or talk mean to Ruth it would only make matters worse.

One mother came over to me and said that the kids were lucky to have such a calm mother.  It was a shinning moment for me.  I didn't get upset or show any sign of distress.  I did great.

Then.

When I was leaving the bathroom a lady from New York (I assume) with big sunglasses and one hand in her pocket came over to me.  She was in her 50's I would guess.

Lady:  "Maybe you shouldn't travel with them if it is so difficult."
Me:  "It isn't difficult at all."  (they throw fits like this at home too)
Lady: "Maybe they just need some TLC"
Me: "Maybe you shouldn't give advice unless it is solicited."
Lady, walking away: "I have three children"
Me, raising my voice: "That doesn't make you an expert on my children"

What happened next was not a shinning moment.

As we started toward our gate, the lady was walking toward us.  I drove the double stroller, with both kids in it straight toward her and bumped her.

Lady:  "I see now why they are the way they are."     (how dare she!  they are tired kids crying.  a mother should know that)

I left the stroller and took off after her.  I had no idea what I was going to say or do.  Thankfully, Brian stepped in and told me to walk away.  Also thankfully, I listened.

Brian said the lady started wagging her finger and saying who knows what.  He told her to walk away.  She kept at it.  He told her that her mouth had gotten her into this mess and to walk away.  She also listened.  He said he was very calm.

I know.  It was bad of me to do.  That night as I kinda asked for forgiveness I told God, "but I had a right to be mad."

His response, "yeah, I hung on the cross and did nothing wrong to get there.  I didn't yell or spit on people and certainly didn't try to run them over with a double stroller."

Well, He has me there.  Brian said that God can always play the Cross Card and win.

So next time you think about saying something to a woman with a double stroller, think again.  Chances are both of you will do something wrong and then will have to realize that you sinned again.


OU was a blast.  I will write more and post pictures later.

3 comments:

  1. I think people traveling with small children are heroes. I'm sure this woman didn't realize that (at least for me), when you do, you are terrified of how the children might behave and the stress that it is going to cause not only your family, but those around you as well. But what are you going to do? Lock yourself up in a cave and not go anywhere? That's dumb. I would think that people with children, if anything, would be compassionate. But you can't really expect that from a New Yorker, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I defintely would have told her off.

    How was the reunion?!?!? I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete